Made In China Talk  

Go Back   Made In China Talk > Made in China Discussion > China Import and Export Fairs
Directory Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read 中文

How do I handle this?

Old 10-20-2008, 06:53 PM

Default How do I handle this?

In summer 2004, I lived in a townhouse which i leased for a year. I ended up having to move out. The managers okayed me to sublet my apartment to a girl friend of mine. She lived there for four months, and paid three months rent. She moved out with no notice. I paid her last months rent to get it taken off of my credit report.

Well, I recently checked my report again. Turns out, I have a $196 bill with Charter . I dont use them.Never have. Apparently, whomever lived in that house after me turned their cable tv on in MY name and let it run til it got turned off.
I spoke with the collections agancy and have a filed a fraud report. I spoke with the owners and according to them it is basically my own fault. This is not fair and the police arent doing much, not returning my phone calls or anything. And I have some pretty concerete evidence to my identity theft. A name&address in canton michigan. given to me by DHS.
What else can i do? My credit is falling apart. Help!!!

Old 10-20-2008, 07:02 PM

Hire a lawyer and go after the cops and everyone else who ignores you and is causing you trouble.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:12 PM

It is your responsibility to have all utilities removed from your name when you vacate an apartment.

Did you have a lease with the person you sublet to? Or was it a handshake dealie.

When you take on the job of a landlord, it is your responsibility to make sure everything is on the up and up.....

You might be able to get reimbursed by filing a claim with small claims court. At least that is cheaper than hiring a lawyer......
Old 10-20-2008, 07:22 PM

The important thing here is to get this debt taken off your credit report. So just pay the bill or negotiate with the collections agency to accept less. No one will help you because no one has the time and no one really cares. The cops definitely don't care, unless you confront the person that did it and do something to them that they deserve and that you can get arrested for. Just chalk it up as a life experience, move on, and be more careful next time. In addition, you can be smart like me, and go to Lifelock.com and pay them so this won't happen again.

Consider yourself lucky they didn't take you for more (like someone did me for over $1000 on a credit card I never signed up for or received)
Old 10-20-2008, 07:31 PM

First of all, this sounds like a CIVIL problem, not a criminal problem. The police enforce criminal laws. Second, why did you allow the cable TV to be kept in your name after you moved out? You should have discontinued service under your name when you vacated the apartment. It sounds like you have a long and difficult struggle ahead to find the person that took advantage of your failure to terminate service.