Made In China Talk  

Go Back   Made In China Talk > General Topics > Green / Eco-Friendly
Directory Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read 中文

Recycling old electronics.

Old 11-30-2009, 02:48 AM

Default Recycling old electronics.

I'm going through my basement and cleaning it up in preperation for doing some renovations down there. I have a bunch of old computers, monitors, computer peripherals and old electronics. I live in Surrey BC and I can take the computers and monitors to the return it (www.returnit.ca) depots. However, they only take specific items, they won't take my broken Shaw Cable box, old game controllers, broken routers or computer speakers. I really don't want to throw this stuff in the landfill as I'm sure there's something better that can be done with it. However, at this point it looks like my only option.Any ideas?

Old 03-02-2011, 07:24 AM

Electronic equipment contains highly toxic materials, including lead, cadmium, and mercury, that may leak into the soil and ground water when disposed of in landfills here and abroad.
Old 04-02-2011, 02:16 AM

Electronics recycling is a fairly new industry, and it's far from centralized at this point. Many people end up throwing their old electronics in the trash out of frustration alone. It can take a good deal of research to figure out how to properly recycle this stuff. Going to the manufacturer's Web site or to the store where you bought the device is often a good bet. Many electronics manufacturers and retailers have instituted collection programs that make recycling your old gadgets pretty easy.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:58 PM

Electronic waste is the results when electronic components are not properly disposed. Old TVs, computers, telephones, etc. are dumped and cause environmental pollution. The consequences of being irresponsible with old electronics are much more serious than what meets the eye. Apart from causing much damage to the environment, these wastes can affect our health.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:22 PM

Many companies these days deal in the recycling of electronic items. The parts of elderly electronic goods are removed & used in new products. This helps reduce the wastefulness of obtainable resources. Electronic items contain precious metals such as gold & palladium, which are used in their chips, circuits, wires & plugs. These metals are not obtainable. So, this is an added incentive as it is highly beneficial for companies to recycle.