Made In China Talk  

Go Back   Made In China Talk > Made in China Discussion > China Knowledge
Directory Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read 中文

Do you ever feel that you don't wanna share your culture with others?

Old 05-22-2008, 01:53 AM

Default Do you ever feel that you don't wanna share your culture with others?

Sometimes I look at someone, I just tell them what ethnicity I am of. I don't bother to share any of my ancestors' cultures with them for I believe they wouldn't ever understand, not even in a million years. Also when I look at someone's behavior, I can tell that they will disrespect other cultures.

I was watching a cultural ceremony show at my university. When the Chinese cultural group came up, I saw a group of people whispering "ching chong" to each other and then they giggled, yes boys and girls. I only share when friends seem interested.

i really couldn't care less...i love mine and any other that i may come across, however different it may be from mine...living in India, i move in and out of quite a few...i think its wise to share things that matter to you to those who would appreciate its value, but on the other hand, culture is no mere commodity, and sharing is not an option...it is an experience, each unique in its own way for everybody...

I feel the same way Babe, and I totally agree. I'm sick of explaining my culture to others too, not that they care anyway because there are so many closed minded people in this world. I work with this Lady and she refers to anyone with an accent as a Foreigner, forgetting that her Parents Parents were also a ''Foreigners'' or Immigrants before they landed foot on this soil. She has referred to my culture as ''you people'' and when I try to correct her she sees nothing wrong and refuses to apologize. I have accepted the fact that she is ignorant and I leave it at that.

You're right. Most people wouldn't understand another culture, even if they were open to it. You have to understand too. I think many Americans are going through a culture burn-out. We have so many that are trying to make an influence on American culture, and people sometimes get tired of having suddenly be receptive to other ideologies and politely accept them. We are of all races, and we are all Americans. And it's too bad those boys and girls made light of other Americans that way.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:14 PM

There are lots of time, i want share my different idea.