Made In China Talk  

Go Back   Made In China Talk > Made in China Discussion > China Knowledge
Directory Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read 中文

Ex-pat life in Guangzhou?

Old 07-02-2008, 09:09 AM

Default Ex-pat life in Guangzhou?

I'm considering taking a teaching job in Guangzhou next semester and as I'm coming from a small city in Jiangsu (by chinese standards at least 1 million people). I'm a city dweller, I need night life. Are there bars, or what you British and Aussies would call pubs? None of this Chinese disco crap (which can be fun after a lot of baijiu) but real bars that you can just sit down have a beer and maybe play some pool. They're abundant in Shanghai and Beijing so I've got high hopes for Guangzhou. How about foreign food, not that I don't love Chinese food, but I miss Thai and Italian. I'd be living in the Haizhu (at the Guangdong University of business studies), any info there? What's the lao wai population like? high/low? old/young? and just overall how do you like it? I've done the "real china" for a year now I'm ready for modern china. thanks!

Don't worry, Guangzhou is a great area with multi cultural atmosphere. You 'll see bars, a variety of food and great night life.

I think the answers to all of your questions can be found in the free local expat rags around GZ. I've posted a few links below.

I think Shenzhen and GZ will certainly offer you a taste of "modern" China, especially in the nightlife and dining scene. Both cities have huge expat communities, especially in the multinational set (Africans just might be the largest and most cohesive expat community in Guangdong).

And your extreme proximity to Hong Kong and Macau makes for a never-dull weekend, and is probably the best part about living in GZ.

Have fun!

I just got back and had a lot of fun. It is such a huge city that there is plenty of food choices and lots of places to have fun.