Made In China Talk  

Go Back   Made In China Talk > International Business Talk > Export
Directory Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read 中文

I would like to know which is the legal procedure to export food products to Brazil.?

Old 07-19-2009, 10:04 AM

Default I would like to know which is the legal procedure to export food products to Brazil.?

I would like to know which is the legal procedure to export food products to Brazil.?

Old 07-19-2009, 10:33 AM

Default I would like to know which is the legal procedure to export food products to Brazil.?

Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada provides an illustrative case study for Brazilian import regulations and their costs for a sample export shipment to Brazil.After adding import duties, fees, taxes and other charges, the sample Canadian import delivery to Brazil cost US$161,798. That’s 22.4% higher when compared with comparable Brazilian products locally manufactured with charges totalling $132,160.TariffsAs member countries of MERCOSUL (Common Market of the Southern Cone), the three nations exempted from Brazil’s import duties are Argentina, Paraguay and Uruguay. All other exporting nations must pay the Common External Tariff (CET), which averages 14% to a high of 20%, depending on the imported merchandise. Brazilian authorities maintain a list of imported products exempted from the CET including computers, telecommunications equipment and some capital goods.Commercial InvoicesShipments to Brazil must have commercial invoices that include an exact description of the imported goods in Portuguese. The invoices must also show country of origin, date and place of shipment, markings and numerical order of packages, prices plus charges including insurance and shipping, as well as weight.Import CertificatesCertificates are required for specific goods, notably food and health products. Food products also require documents notarized by a Brazilian Consulate in Canada.Import Duties and Sales TaxesProducts delivered to Brazil are subject to import duties. Brazil’s government sets product classifications that determine rates for specific imports. Where exceptions meet the best interests of the Brazilian economy, import duty rates may be negotiated.Brazil imposes two major taxes on imports, namely the industrial products tax (IPI) and the tax on the distribution of goods and services (ICMS). Foreign exporters must also be aware of the federal Social Integration Program tax (PIS) levied on gross revenues from domestic sales of goods and services and the Contribution for the Financing of Social Security tax imposed on most gross revenues.Like Brazilian import duties, ICMS and IPI taxes vary depending on product type and assessed importance to Brazil’s economy. ICMS is a state tax payable at all stages of sale from manufacture to consumer. ICMS tax rates range from 7% to 25%, and average 18% in Rio de Janeiro.Strictly speaking, IPI is a tax imposed on manufactured product imports. Thus international traders receive tax credits from I