Made In China Talk  

Go Back   Made In China Talk > Import-Export Knowledge > Basics Knowledge of Import-Export
Directory Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read 中文

Roughly how much does it cost?

Old 05-24-2008, 01:56 AM

Default Roughly how much does it cost?

Hmmm... A 20" container? I'm sure you can find Barbie furniture in Shanghai, no need to ship it from Kent....

Edit: OK...I thought Ken(t) was shipping the furniture...

Anyways, a standard 20' container has about 1,100 cubic feet of useable space which may not be a lot if you fill it with furniture. A standard 40' has about 2,300 cubic feet. Don't forget that the rate of shipping goods in less than a container will be significantly higher, so if you can fill one full container, it will be cheaper. Rates are by the cubic metre. A full 20' container can take 30 cubic metres of good, but I could't tell you the exact rate from Kent to Shanghai. As an example, the cost of a full container from Indonesia to Vancouver is about $135 per cubic metre. Check the website below for a quote on a standard container. You will have to register. Make sure you deal with a customs broker who will handle all paperwork and custom clearance and arrangements with the shipping company, as the responsibility of the latter starts at the departing dock and end at the other arrival dock.

I am looking to hire a standard 20" container to ship some furniture from Kent to Shanghai. Any idea what are the price range typically?
Oops... I meant 20 Foot, not 20 inch!

Last I Checked a container ran around 3,000usd. May have been a larger or smaller than 20' container though. Oh, actually that was the price from china to the US. I hear that returning to china, many times the rates are cheaper since the containers are empty. Good luck